Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Our Daughter Knows


A couple of years ago, my wife and I were on a walk, talking about us being non-monogamous. We talked about hopes and fears. We talked along a path of “what then”. This is when you imagine something bad happening and ask “what then”, then follow that with another “what then” until you get to an end point. In this case, it was a discussion about being found-out. We both were and are personally comfortable with our status of non-monogamy, yet we’re aware of what others may think, and we’re not immune to the possible consequences of them discovering. 

We were raised in a VERY conservative community with VERY conservative messages incorporated into our consciousness from a young age. Over the last few years, I have used reason, logic and science to work though those. My wife has leaned more upon intuition and emotion to work through hers. We started in the same place, and we ended up the same place, but by very different processing methods. 

Because of our traditional appearance and background, we’ve established ourselves in our community and founded our social and professional lives on that old, conservative background—it’s what pays the bills. We have been concerned that if our colleagues discover our non-monogamous life that they may think, “Well, if they can have sex with other people, then maybe they can embezzle and cheat on their taxes too.” In time, they’d learn that these are non-sequiturs, but only if they stick around long enough to learn it first-hand.

Another reason (actually the biggest reason) for not coming out is because of our children. We taught them the same religious traditions in which we were raised. My wife and I didn’t become firmly non-monogamous until after our children’s values were instilled. Now that as a couple we’ve altered our lives, our children could interpret our change in many ways, most of which wouldn’t be easy on them. So we’ve chosen to keep silent on the issue—especially as we evolve ourselves. (Our children are now all over age 18.) 

I recently, convincingly found out that our daughter found my previous post and read it. Previous to that, we suspected that she knew. Over the past couple of years, she’s asked us questions to which we have told her it’s none of her business. We knew that she had strong suspicions, but we didn’t know on what she based them. (She is nosy. She can’t deny that.) I now know that she’s been reading this blog. She’s reading this. Hi daughter. Had I known this before, we would have not written much (or any) of what did, but it’s too late. Oh well. Parents often want their children to think well of them, but eventually parents fall from their lofty state. I think we’ve fallen further than most, or at least we were more explicit about documenting our exit from Eden. 

So, back to the “what then” conversation. When my wife and I talked about how she’d react if our children (in particular this child) found out, my wife calmly and firmly said, “I’d kill myself.” I stopped dead in my tracks, grabbed her by the wrist, and looked her in the eye as my mouth went dry. “You’re kidding, right?”. “No, I don’t think I could go on knowing that [she] knew.” I firmly stammered out, “Then we must stop immediately!” It turned into a long conversation that ended in her understanding the suicide wasn’t the solution, and that neither of us wanted to alter our behavior for feelings, but it did underscore the very deep concern that she had with that child confronting her about what we do. 

My wife has a very childlike heart and loves to live in a Disneyesque mindset. Our daughter is a natural “parent” and authority. She’s loving but judgey—just like me. She and I are way too similar. My wife complements and criticisms both me and our daughter when she says to either of us, “You two are so much alike.” So I completely understand my wife’s fear of our daughter’s judgment. From a values perspective, I know well how my daughter thinks. I was very similar when I was that age. I judged my own parents harshly for much less. I know how I would have felt if I’d discovered that my parents were doing what my wife and I do. I can only imagine what she thinks and how it must pain her soul. I wish I could assuage her of that pain.

So, where do we go from here dear daughter? First and always, we love you. And we invite you to keep loving us. Also, you know your mother well and you know how sensitive she is to you and how much she wants your acceptance and approval, so I ask that you consider timing and how much you feel a need to address these things with her. She has a tendency to take things hard for a while (see above). And as a peacemaker, she often obfuscates rather than deal head-on, so I don’t know how satisfying a conversation with her would be for you right now. If you need to yell at someone, yell at me. I’m here for you, and I will always love you.


12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time to rethink the whole thing? Is it the time to stop? Or to continue regardles?
    Hope it ll be worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your honesty and transparency, Joe! We too got into the LS from a conservative religious background, after our kids were well into their teens. We were always honest about sexuality with them (in a "God created this, so it's good" kind of way), but never about the LS aspect- until our oldest child (in his late 20's) discovered our secret quite by accident and 'outed' us to the rest of our kids. After a lengthy family meeting, we informed them that our love for them (and for each other) will never change, but as adults we didn't require their permission or approval to do what we want in our marriage. Our middle child (a daughter) had the roughest time accepting it, based on her interpretation of Biblical principles. (Your recommendation of the book "Divine Sex" helped us through that rough time a great deal). We even briefly considered dropping the LS ourselves; but in the end, we realized that we didn't have a problem with it (morally or otherwise), so we elected to continue on.

    Three years later, and our family is still going strong. Even our middle child realized that we are all adults, and therefore make our own decisions about life, sexuality and everything. We have never flaunted the LS in front of them, and they understand that if they don't want to know, then they simply refrain from asking. They have learned by our example that life, and our love for them, still goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like what pixel_pusher said. At one point we have to be accountable for our actions as we all become adults making our own choices. Sounds harsh and it is reality. What I do believe is that true love is what carries each of us through time like this.

    Good luck to all of you; mom, dad, daughter and the rest of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been coming by here much lately. Looks like I missed a few posts. My wife and I come from the same basic background. We did leave the formal part of that behind long ago but much of it still affects much of our life, especially in relation to our kids. All three are thirty somethings now. We were non-monogamous for a while, which is kind of strange as I've never seen a woman naked in real life except for my wife. All our play was my wife with other men.

    I don't think we were as discreet as needed to be with a few of the first experiences so our youngest found out just before graduating from high school and moving out on her own. Our oldest, a son, probably knows from her and just doesn't care. Our other daughter refuses to have anything to do with us, much like my siblings and some of my wife's siblings. The youngest, that has known the longest, treats us like Mom and Dad. She asks our advice, shares her frustrations, and because of her I have the cutest grandson in the world. We always had better communication with her. In some ways I feel closer to her husband than I do my own son.

    On many platforms, I keep promoting living your life as you. It seems you two want to enjoy non-monogamy, it even seems to be part of who you are, like some people are straight, some are gay, some are bi, etc. That you have found a partner who approaches this part of life with similar desires, and understanding of the differences between you, is truly unusual. Your level of communication is amazing. You must be you.

    Hopefully it will be as good as pixel_pusher has experienced, but if it is closer to what my wife and I have experienced, you still must live being true to you. If your kids will let you express your love for them, then it should be good for all involved. Don't let fear make you hold in things that you will regret your choices when you are my age. If your daughter, or other kids, can't deal with you being you, that is their choice. All you can do is continue to love them in what ever ways they will let you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guys,, just hope you all doing fine, and am sure you ll emerge even stronger as a family.
    greetings and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hope u r doing fine guys, am sure everyone is worried about you. Hope you have the support you need.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the fakest fucking blog. Every one of these posts reeks of desperation and loneliness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. www.MagnumRings.com... A New (and Patented) Approach for the Science of Male Enhancement and Permanent Enlargement, Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great article that highlights the complexities of navigating a non-monogamous lifestyle while living in a conservative community. It's inspiring to see how two people can approach the same situation from different angles and arrive at the same conclusion. It's also important to consider the potential consequences of coming out to one's colleagues, and to find ways to protect oneself in the event of being found out. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete